mercoledì 23 novembre 2016

Day 191: Network Game

Today I worked a lot on the engine, and I managed to create a fully functional game.
First thing I added is a new control system for the players which allows them to rotate and move in the direction they are facing. I also downloaded a simple ship model and replaced the cubes with it.
Then I added a ball object to the screen. Each ship can try to acquire it, and if successful the player get a score, and the ball is reset to another position. This required the following:
- handling differently the reception of player and ball packets
- handing physics (in this case a simple collision resolution) in the server
- create a new type of message to send updates about the score
- handle the reception of these packets
- print the scores on screen
and many other minor or major adjustments.
I'm not excessively happy with how I divided things between the engine and the game though, and many times I had to force the engine to behave in not elegant ways to force a struct or a class to remain inside the game or engine project. This happened mostly because I had to speed up the development of the project due to a deadline, which I never did since the beginning of the Ryno's development. Hopefully I'll have time to improve the code later.
In the picture you can see a screenshot of the game with all the features implemented. Only thing missing is a end game message and maybe a countdown.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento