It's been two weeks since my last post because I went to holiday and the update to windows 10 destroyed my pc. Now everything is fine, and I set up the visual studio enironemment from scratch, adding a useful plugin to integrate SVN into the ide.
I noticed that the game is pretty slow to start, something around 3 seconds, so i wrote a CPU profiler to identify the bottleneck. (i also tried the GPU profiler i already wrote, but i found out, not surprisingly, that the times are not correct for CPU).
It came out that mesh loading is a very fast operation, while texture loading takes up a whole second. But the real problem is the cubemap, because of it's high resolution, which takes 2 seconds to load.
For now I'm gonna ignore these problems, probably with uncompressed formats the loading time would be faster, but with a large memory use.
However the cpu profiler is pretty nice and will be very useful in the future.
In the next days (or weeks probably) I would like to implement spotlights, perspective shadow maps and volumetric shadows for the point lights, and then take a pause from the graphic stuff, and maybe work on something new, like a simple GUI or maybe some basic physics engine.
Nessun commento:
Posta un commento